Tuesday, May 21, 2013

How novelty can make you more persuasive




"We are motivated by novelty"

It is completely irrational to line up for hours to be one of the first to get some new game or technology when if you just waited for a week you could simply walk into that same store and pick it up in minutes.   Why do we do that?

Turns out we love the novelty of new and the bragging rights to being the first to have or know about something.   It feeds our brains that feel good chemical dophamine.

 

"Sameness is boring and predictable whereas novelty is exciting and new"

There are several ways you can use this to your advantage if you are trying to sell, influence or persauade.   

First, a person will be more open to your proposals if they are in a new and novel location when you make your pitch.   If you are trying to persuade someone to buy your product or service it can help you make the other person more responsive if you take them to a new restaurant (somewhere they've never been before). 

Novelty helps us to learn.    We learn better if we receive the information in novel ways.   When I gave my last seminar on "Power Persuasion" the CEO had suggested that we use his boardroom.   I declined and insisted that we use an outside venue.   It worked beautifully.   In the novel location it made his excutives and managers much more receptive to the new materials I was teaching.

I also presented my information in a humorous way whenever possible.   I wanted it be a fun experience.   They loved it.

Second, ask yourself how can I make my presentation if a novel way?    Whether it is business cards or sales literature they almost all look alike.   Your client has seen a million like yours.  Everyone has been trained to make it professional.      Seek out someway to make yours novel and make them sit up and notice.  

I had one company print their literature on glossy and heavy paper with bold colors and graphics instead of the standard paper black and white professional approach.   That alone made a big difference.   When given the materials clients paused for a moment because of the novelty (unexpectactly different from others).   The novelty made them curious to know more....mission accomplished!

A surprising simple (novel) way to communicate...

Now a days most of our communications is done via emails, texts and social media.   It is highly impersonal and common.   So to be novel write a hand written thank you note.   It is so uncommon to get a hand written letter or note that when you get one it is incredibly novel.   Try it and you will be amazed.

I was having some difficulty with a person I know.   Talking or emailing was not doing much to clear things up.   So I got a card and wrote a personal message.   The result was amazing to me.    She not only responded positivily but very warmly.  Problem solved!

But don't do this...

Last year I received a personal note from a VP with WestJet Airlines in which he thanked me for all of the ideas that I had created for his company.  Nice...huh?   Only one problem, his handwriting was so atrocious it took me a long time to decipher it.   It kind of disgusted me that someone would be so sloppy.   I mean you can't really show it to your buddies how great someone thinks you are when they can't read it. 

If you can't take the time to write neatly don't bother!



No comments:

Post a Comment